Poster from mood board

poster

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Mood board for coffee shop poster

moodboard

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Visual Design For Multimedia Assessment 1 Work In Progress Log

The mask I used for the font face.

Pulverised glass.

Glass Spread On The Lightbox

Photograph Source Used

Importing a photo source

Importing a photographed with a very low focal length to test the effect of variation over the alphabet.

Importing a photographed with a very low focal length to test the effect of variation over the alphabet.

Test Variation 1

Test Variation 2

Test Variation 3Here is a set of images showing the result of assesment 1 as a work in progress.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Visual Design For Multimedia Assesment 1

I was inspired to create a font face evoking the “street” fashion mode (see http://www.urbanfonts.com/ http://www.addictivefonts.com/script/graffiti/wildstyle-graffiti-fonts-street-artwork/ http://www.dafont.com/rap-my-hip-hop.font) that is popular within urban youth cultures and integrate that with another darker and more serious aspect of urban youth culture, that being alcohol abuse. I acquired about a dozen glass alcohol bottles, pulverised them using a lead pipe, photographed the broken glass spread across a light box and then used photoshop to crop the images that I thought had the most aesthetic appeal and added a border to increase visibility as the light levels varied quite wildly over the images.

The final image of the font face.

The final image of the font face.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Overwhelming success!

Nobody could have predicted just how deep the impact Dear Esther would make on the industry. Managing to pay off it’s investors in a mere 5 and a half hours and soaring to a massive 16,000 sales in the first 24 hours (seeing it claim the top sales position on the Steam digital distribution service). I have been blown away by the overwhelming success of this project and, being that it is drawing to a close, I feel like a great weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. A big thankyou everyone for the incredible support for this game!

P.S. I am always looking for more game developer work, you can view my LinkedIn profile here,

View Jack Morgan's profile on LinkedIn

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

The Denoument

So I noticed a spike in my page views tonight I decided that I should anxiously tap out something for visitors to look at. Dear Esther development is coming to a close (I’ll be around for a period to handle your queries and any problems you might have playing the game so don’t fly into a state of delirious panic just yet). It’s been a rewarding project, and there’s a bit of code lying around on my hard drive now that I think deserves a place among the Source modding community so I’ll be writing up something on the Valve Developer Community Wiki sooner or later. Definitely the vertex shader wind code and client module optimisations.

Maybe I’ll just release the tools for this themselves but I’m thinking I’d prefer to do a step by step run down of the existing system, explain why I changed what I changed and why it’s saving as much in terms of performance as it is. Some feed back here on that idea would be nice if any willing visitors would care to comment.

Your faithful coderer.

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Compiling: (UN)Check!

Retasking an existing OOP oriented code base is like playing Jenga. You pull one block out, and no matter how careful you are when you pull the block out there’s always going to be the chance that there’s other blocks weighting themselves fully onto it. Crash.

When approaching the job of modifying the Portal2 code to become  Dear Esther I decided at first to go with the option of removing the preprocessor commands that specified that I was building the Portal2 specific game dlls (server and client). This was akin to approaching a game of Jenga by knocking the whole tower down and rebuilding it. Jenga in reverse… Maybe ‘pick up sticks’ is a better childhood game related analogy to use.

I was faced with over 300 linker errors where files were demanding that the portal2 files be located (and low level objects at that) I shifted my tact to pulling thing out bit by bit and leaving the preprocessor commands in. 300 linker errors isn’t 300 linker errors. Each file you remove will often cause another file/s to scream out with it’s own linker error demanding you locate the file you just removed… And you go on like this until you can either negate the screaming (with hacky macros oh joy!) or the screaming stops.

I quickly got a game running this way but unfortunately it suffered erroneous rendering (it was rendering EVERY viewport overlay material all at once aswell as rendering in splitscreen with the second player screen rendering an empty frame buffer). So then, and I guess this is where the Jenga analogy comes in, I set about carefully removing all the non-Dear Esther vital components hoping to be able to strip out all the Portal2 specific objects without causing too much of a hassle… There was hassle. All too quickly I was facing 200+ linker errors and realised that my original plan was probably just as good.

So I re-removed the preprocessor definitions and have spent the last 20 hours dealing with them all one at a time (aswell as building a dummy UI which is essentially a carbon copy of the Portal 2 UI with Portal2 specific features ripped out of it). Finally now I can run a game, there aren’t too many asserts being thrown to the debugger (for some reason it hates me noclipping around…) and by 3am this morning (or 3 am tomorrow we’ll see) I should have a build fresh off the press to run over to Robert.

I have drunk upwards of 20 cups of coffee in this period… Probably well up :D

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | 8 Comments